Wednesday 13 June 2018

Project - miniature rug for Dr Muffet's study

I decided I needed a rug for Dr Muffet's study AKA Little Miss Muffet diorama project. I have the ideal book to look at for instruction, Dolls' House Needlecrafts by Venus A. Dodge. I've never made a rug before - let alone in miniature!




Flicking through the book I found the one that I wanted to do. The instructions carry a warning "designed for experienced needlewomen", pfft I think, I'm sure I can do this. I found some material, threads of suitable colours and photocopied the pattern and away I went. After 3 or 4 hours work I realised that, if I was interpreting the pattern correctly it wasn't going to fit on my fabric!






First attempt, on the wrong fabric (25 count evenweave linen), starting in the wrong place
You guessed it, I wasn't interpreting correctly, (groan). I had to start again! At the same time I've fixed my smart phone. It froze on me when I was taking these photos, completely, I couldn't even switch it off 'n' on again. I joked to my Mum that it was going to be very posh brick that I was going to throw through the window.

Progress on second attempt, on the right fabric (22 count canvas) starting in the right place
I think the sewing, petit point to be precise, has helped me today, it's quite a calming and rythmic process, I recommend it (although maybe start of with something easy). By the way I also recommend the frame that I'm using for the second attempt, it's called a Q-Snap frame. It's much chunkier and more comfortable to hold than the traditional embroidery hoop.

Hopefully it goes smoothly from here on in.

No comments:

Post a Comment